Grayslake Highschool Debate Forum

Debate forum for GCHS/GNHS

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Air13ourn
Admin

Male Number of posts : 471
Where I am : As high as a kite
Hobbies : Debating and WoW
Registration date : 2006-12-14

PostSubject: P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:24 pm

-----To be updated later------

YOU ARE A PIRATE
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18812

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve found our path, we can move on from on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" -Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ghsdebate.grafbb.com
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater

Male Number of posts : 197
Where I am : Out of my mind (be back soon)
Registration date : 2006-12-17

PostSubject: POing   Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:10 pm

What is a PO?
A PO is just the abreviation for Presiding Officer. A PO is the person who, in a sense, runs the chamber. king This Presiding officer is the one who calls people up for speeches, picks on people for questions, and has to keep track of the time.

How does the PO call for speeches?
The Presiding Officer usually has a seating chart in front of him. On this seating chart, he has to keep track of how many speeches and questions everybody has asked. In the beginning, the PO calls for speeches randomly. When someone is called on to give a speech, the PO writes down their name on a list. He/She has to use this list to see whose turn it is to give a speech once everybody has spoken atleast once. This order in which people have spoken is called the speaking order.

How does the PO call for questions?
The PO usually calls on people who have the least amount of questions to ask questions. Since questions are alot shorter and not as important as speeches, PO's usually don't keep track of the order in which people ask questions.

What times does the PO have to remember?
The PO has to remember a couple different times. First off, he/she has to remember what time the session (time in which you are debating) started and what time it ends. Second, he/she has to remember what time they started debating a bill, and when they stop (each bill is debated for a maximum of 60 min.). Lastly, he/she has to remember how much time is left on a bill if it is tabled (put off to the side).

Who can be PO?
Anyone can be PO! It is usually not recomended that people who are extremely new to debate PO simply because they are not familiar with the procedure.

How are you elected PO?
To be elected PO, you must be nominated by someone else. Then, you give about a thirty second speech on why you would make a good PO (you are essentially bragging about yourself). Then, everyone in the chamber votes on who they would like to PO.

How many PO's are there?
There are usually three PO's per tournament, one for every session. At our mock debates, there is only one since we don't have as much time.

These are pretty much the basics of POing. If you have any other questions, send me a reply or ask anyone at one of the meetings.

TTYL Of course

sdemon99
Very Active Debater
Very Active Debater

Male Number of posts : 542
Where I am : Hanging out with Sam. Where else?
Hobbies : Speech team.
Registration date : 2006-12-18

PostSubject: Re: P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)   Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:50 am

You also have to let the debater know how much time is left. Usually it's:

30 Seconds: 1 tap of the gavel
15 seconds: 2 taps
0 seconds: 3 taps
5 seconds over time: You may "gavel down" the debater
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater

Male Number of posts : 197
Where I am : Out of my mind (be back soon)

PostSubject: Re: P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)   Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 am

Some PO's will try and change their tapping style (like Maura for example), and though there is no rule against it, it can really throw people off. It's best to just stick by this system.

The Englishman
too much free time
too much free time

Male Number of posts : 1146
Where I am : London, England
Hobbies : Posting on the Forum

PostSubject: Re: P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:33 pm

You should call for motions at least after each pro-con sequence. That what I do but people can interrupt me if they like.

Also guys, I think you should know, I talked to Roger and to get any maority, it is either 1/2 or 2/3 of the people actually present in the chamber. So abstentions count as Neys also. If not enough people vote yes you can just fail the motion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)   

Back to top Go down

P.O.ing basics (For new, and maybe old members)
Page 1 of 1